The πDoc is made up of three main parts. To make it you will need the following:
1. Motorola ATRIX LapDock
- Make sure to get this model (SKU: 65242) as this is the one I will be working with.
- Also get some 3M Dual Lock Strips. They should be around 1 inch in width, and whatever you get will be cut into 4 pieces that are each 2 inches in length – Note: This stuff is re-branded a lot, you are looking for stuff that looks like what I’ve linked to.
- I’ll admit, you don’t need to use a Pibow… Any small case will do.
- The WiFi USB i linked is dirt cheap and uses standard Ralink drivers. Plus, you dont need a USB hub to power it!
3. Custom USB Cable/HDMI Cable Combo
This part is where most of you efforts will go. I’ve split it into 3 sub-parts:
- Micro HDMI Extension Cable (must be short ~30cm) + Female Micro HDMI to Male HDMI Adapter
- Custom USB Cable – Schematic still to be posted
- The USB/HDMI Joiner
- This sub-part is located at the end of the combo cable where it plugs into the πDoc
- Get heavy-duty heat shrink tubing (1 inch diameter). The thinker the tubing, the more durable this end will be – If it helps, I used Black Polyolefin 2:1 shrink tubing for this
- Buy Grommets – I used this pack
- Get hot glue and a strong adhesive for plastics